Grant read a book once and realised that he preferred the pictures. This epiphany eventually led him to the exciting world of design: fast cars, beautiful women and endless cocktail parties. Ok, so in reality it really led him to Quirk, where there are very few fast cars and the cocktail parties aren't as civilised as they sound - but boy, is it fun!
After the mandatory post-Matric-Euro-trip, Grant settled in to hone his craft studying Multimedia Design at City Varsity. When he graduated he discovered an awesome company dying to hire him (that would be Quirk). Grant started off his career at Quirk back when the agency was still pretty small and the QuirkStars could all fit round the boardroom table to eat lunch together. After many years of excellent work and awesome dedication to his passion, Grant assumed the illustrious role of Design Director. The natural progression has led to him being the lead singer in the all boy DesignStar band who don't really sing - but they do listen to their music at unacceptable volumes - must be a "creative" thing. Since then, Grant's spent 18 months in the Quirk London office and returned back to Cape Town as Senior Art Director for round 3.
Grant’s work at Quirk has included pushing his design skills to the next level with the SAT Google Earth layer. Putting together a well-designed layer that was also attractive, interactive and functional was a challenge that Grant easily met while helping the team ultimately win the E-consultancy award for Innovation in SEO in 2008.
Super speedy, efficient and with the compelling looks of He-Man, Grant is not an all work no fun type of guy. He plays as hard as he works and is the life and soul of a party. Friday drinks? Grant McLachlan IS Friday drinks.
"A shmoke und a pancake? Shigar und a waffle? Pipe und a crepe? Bong und a blintz?" ~ Goldmember
- 2011 Winner - Silver: The Davey Awards: Online Advertising and Marketing, Game or Application - Capitec Bank Budgetanator
- 2011 Finalist: The Loerie Awards: Website - The Capitec Bank Website
- 2008 Winner: Econsultancy Innovation Awards: Innovation in SEO & Natural Search - South African Tourism Google Earth Layer
Grant has passed the GAIQ (Google Analytics Individual Qualification)
Blog posts by this author
- Nokia's World's Biggest Signpost Campaign
- 10 Fun, Inspirational and Creative Sites
- Microsoft: Set to Continue Ignoring Email Standards
- Site of Note: Spectra
- GottaQuirk - Time for a Change
- 20 Inspiring Email Designs
- A Day in the Life of.. A DesignStar
- In With the New: Web Design Trends 2008
- Fighting for email standards